We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Anti-odor cleaning in the washing machine
We often forget to clean our washing machine: dirt is rarely visible! However, if you most often choose to wash at low temperatures, softener residues, detergent, lime deposits and all kinds of dirt can remain in the machine. With humidity and heat, bacteria grow and are responsible for bad smells. So to have a machine and linen that smell good, we clean thoroughly!
- A second youth for the machine door seal: Start by cleaning the seal on the machine door, where all kinds of dirt can get into it. Scrub with a toothbrush and dish soap to remove product residue and degrease. Then wipe with a microfiber cloth and white vinegar. If there is mold or the joint is very dirty, rub with baking soda. And if despite all your efforts the traces do not go away, change the seal directly according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Clean the detergent drawer: With moisture and product residue, the detergent drawer can become moldy and teeming with bacteria. To clean it, pour boiling water over it, which will dissolve the residue and peel it off effortlessly. Finish cleaning by rubbing with a sponge and white vinegar. A little boiling water and a swipe of the cloth do wonders!
- Clean the machine filter: Over time, the filter can become clogged with various types of dirt (hair, handkerchiefs forgotten in the pockets, etc.), and prevent the wastewater from draining properly. Standing water thus promotes the development of bacteria and bad odors. Depending on the machine model, the filter may be located in different places, consult the instructions for your washing machine to remove it without risk. Do not forget to equip yourself with a mop to mop up the water. Then put the filter under hot water and scrub it with a toothbrush and dish soap to degrease it.
- Descale the drum and the machine ducts: To finish cleaning, pour 3 liters of white vinegar into the drum. Add twenty drops of tea tree essential oil, which is a powerful anti-mold agent. Start the vacuum machine for a cycle at 60 ° C.
For (almost) hopeless cases: clean the depths of the washing machine
If odors persist, it is possible that mold has lodged in places that are difficult to access or that the odors originate from the flow. In this case, first check the drainage pipes. If they are scaled, clean them with a mixture of vinegar and bicarbonate and rub with a brush.
If the machine still smells bad, disassemble part of the machine (according to the manufacturer's instructions) to be able to suck up the jammed lint and clean all the small dirt trapped in the washing tub. Clean the wash tub and the back of the drum with vinegar and a few drops of tea tree essential oil.
To keep a washing machine that smells good all year round and extend its life, keep the good reflexes:
- always leave the door open after each washing, to promote ventilation and prevent the appearance of mold
- wipe the door seal after each washing to avoid humidity and remove the dirt that has gotten stuck in it.
Eliminate bad odors on the laundry
And now that the machine smells good, how to remove the odors of humidity and mold that it left on the laundry?
Nothing could be simpler: all you need to do is iron your laundry! This trick also works for laundry that you forgot in the machine, and that starts to smell bad. Use your regular schedule.
The recipe for removing bad odors: add a third of a cup of baking soda to your regular laundry. In the softener tank, pour a cup of white vinegar and a few drops of lavender essential oil, to leave a good smell on your laundry. With this homemade recipe, your laundry will smell clean!
To avoid bad smells on the linen, remember to respect these few golden rules:
- Take out the laundry immediately when the laundry is done, otherwise your laundry and the machine may smell
- If you dry your laundry in the open air, make sure that the room is well ventilated and that the laundry does not stay wet for too long
- Never store your laundry if it is not completely dry, otherwise bad smells will follow you into your closet!